Sunday, July 6, 2014

June 2014|Book Haul

Hello everyone! :)

It's that time again! My June Book Haul!

So, some of these books you may have heard of while others maybe not. So, bear with me while I go through them.

Here we go:

The first two books, I bought with a gift card I received when I won one of the give-a-ways in a read-a-thon in May. I previously did a post about that here.

Book #1:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I haven't read it yet. I've been waiting until I could buy it, because I have a feeling it is one of those books that I will want to own and reread later on.
I'm sure you've heard of this one, if not because of the book hype but because the movie just came out at the beginning of June (which I haven't seen either and won't until I read the book, I prefer to not let a shortened/changed version of a book ruin my experience). I am a John and Hank Green fan. I love their blogs on their YouTube channel. They are funny and smart and are almost one person except in two different bodies, it is crazy! I adore them!
Synopsis:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But, Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group , Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
That synopsis say sit all. It sounds so emotional and beautiful. I can't wait to read it and then watch the movie.

Book #2:
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
I have actually already read this book but I read it on my nook and I was so in love with it, I had to buy the hard copy.





Synopsis:
17 year old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie, Wesley Rush. In fact, Biance hates him. When he nicknames her "The DUFF" [The Designated Ugly Fat Friend], she throws her Coke in his face.
But, things aren't so great at home right now and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse though, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies with benefits relationship with him. That is until it goes horribly awry.

I loved this book. It was totally relatable for me. Most of us can relate in some way to any of the characters and the content. Bianca is a lot like me in most ways. However, she is way more cynical and negative about things than I am. I was usually the DUFF through my life. Though I have never been deemed ugly, just fat, which is the truth and I am perfectly ok with that. :)

Book #3:
The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern
I have absolutely loved the books I have read of hers, which is about 4 or 5 of them. She is funny, but still writes meaningful things. I can't wait to dive into this book.




Synopsis:
This is a story about how tomorrow can change what happens today. Tamara Goodwin has everything she never has to think about tomorrow. But, suddenly her world is turned upside down and she has to leave her glamorous city life for a new one in the country. However, she is soon lonely and longing to return home. Then a traveling library arrives in the village, bringing with it a mysterious leather-bound book locked with a gold clasp and padlock. What she discovers within its pages takes her breath away and everything starts to change in the most unexpected of ways.
Have any of you read this book? Let me know your thoughts! Leave me a comment! :)

Book #4:
Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
I have a few other books by her and though I haven't read them yet, I have skimmed through them and they are gonna be good. So, I bet this one will be too!




Synopsis:
Tessa Russo is the mother of 2 young children and the wife of a renowned pediatric surgeon. Despite her own mother's warnings, Tessa has recently given up her career to focus on her family and the pursuit of domestic happiness. From the outside she seems destined to live a charmed life.
Valerie Anderson is an attorney and single mother to 6 year old Charlie -- a boy who has never known his father. After many disappointments, she has given up on romance -- and even to some degree friendships -- believing that it is always safer not to expect too much.
Although both women live in the same Boston suburb, the two have relatively little in common aside from a fierce love for their children. But, one night, a tragic accident causes their lives to converge in ways no one could have imagined.

Man, this sounds so good! I am excited to pick it up.

Book #5:
Hold Still by Nina Lacour
I actually found this book because of my interest in another book of hers, which I am hoping to find and buy soon too. I have heard so many good things about all of her books.




Synopsis:
Devastating, hopeful, hopeless, playful... in words and illustrations, Ingrid left behind a painful farewell in her journal for Caitlin. Now Caitlin is left alone, by loss and by choice, struggling to find renewed hope in the wake of her best friend's suicide. With the help of family and newfound friends, Caitlin will encounter first love, broaden her horizons, and start to realize that true friendship didn't die with Ingrid. And the journal which once seemed to chronicle Ingrid's descent into depression, becomes the tool by whig Caitlin once again reaches out to all those who lived Ingrid -- and Caitlin herself.
Man, this book just sounds so emotional and raw. I can't wait to experience all Nina Lacour has to offer me in her books!

Book #6:
In Honor by Jessi Kirby
I am currently reading this book and I am loving it. It is an easy read and the content is of real context. The characters are believable and the situations too. The death of her brother is the first thing that they talk about in the book and it sets a mood for the book.



Synopsis:
Honor receives her brother's last letter from Iraq 3 days after learning that he died and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. It's contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and her brother, Finn's celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her.
Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn's last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn's best friend since 3rd grade and his polar opposite. She hasn't seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn... and ruggedly good-looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage hat makes sense only because it doesn't. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and to honor Finn--but when shocking more than one shocking truth are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?

Doesn't it sound really good? So far it is! Let me know what you think! :)

Book #7:
The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson
I heard about this one from a book tuber, she has great taste so I knew I had to get this book when I saw it on Thrift Books.





Synopsis:
"What happens when your two best friends fall in love... with each other?"
"Their friendship went so far back, it bordered on the Biblical--in the beginning, there was Nina and Avery and Mel." So says high school senior Nina Bermudez about herself and her two best friends, nicknamed "The Bermudez Triangle" by a jealous wannabe back on Nina's 11th birthday. But, the 3-some faces their 1st separation when Nina goes away the summer before their senior year. And in 10 short weeks, everything changes.
Nina returns home bursting with stories about Steve, the quirky yet adorable eco-warrior she fell hard for while away. But, when she asks her best friends about their summer romances, an awkward silence follows.
Nina soon learns the shocking truth when she sees Mel and Avery... kissing. Their friendship is rocked by what feels like the ultimate challenge. But it's only the beginning of a sometimes painful, sometimes funny, always gripping journey as 3 girls discover who they are and what they really want.

I am so excited to read this book, it sounds like nothing I have read before!

Leave me some comments, let me know how I am doing. Give me some ideas for future posts, I would love to know your thoughts! :)

Have a great Sunday and week coming up! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment