Wednesday, June 4, 2014

May 2014: Wrap-up

Hello everyone!

May was a great month for reading. Of course part of that has to do with the 7 day Read-a-Thon that I did. But, still I read quite a bit outside of it too though.

I started out the month reading "Love, In English" by Karina Halle. This book was beautiful and totally relatable.
Vera Miles is a lot like I was when I was in my early to mid-20's. I too was at war with my family, getting tattoos, trying to figure out who I was without much guidance, and sex not having any meaning to me. While she is dealing with all of this, she decides to take a summer job in Spain as a guide to help Spanish business people learn to speak English better.
While there she meets and falls in love with a married man, though it was not without incident, it was a pretty smooth month of getting to know one another. After they leave the retreat, their whole worlds change.
I don't wanna spoil anymore, so I am not saying anymore. It was a great read!

Next, I finished Divergent, I wasn't too far into it in the first place though.
Veronica Roth has a way of making a dystopian world appealing to someone like me who doesn't normally read anything like this. However, this book showed me that I should try and expand my horizons a little bit occasionally.
I am sure most of you know about this book/trilogy, so I don't have to go into much detail. But, if you haven't read it, then by all means try it out. It might surprise you.

Then, I read "Shut Out" by Kody Keplinger. I had previously read The Duff by her and it was so good! So, I wanted to try this one out.
Shut Out was set in the same high school as The Duff, but the two do not have any of the same characters. I however did like the simple correlation between the two though.
Pick this one up, you will be glad that you did.

After that I picked up Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I made that 525 page beast my bitch! LOL! I read it in 2 days! I used to be able to read much more than that and more in a days time. But, I was younger and had less to do then, lol!
Insurgent was well worth the read. It followed Tris/Beatrice's journey even further. I don't want to give away too much because you have to read it to know more! :)
I can't wait to read Allegiant, I just started it.

Lastly, I picked up "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart. It was the June pick for one of the book groups I belong to on Goodreads. It was an interesting read. Nothing like I had read before and not at all what I expected. The twists and turns and descriptive-ness of tho book were outstanding! E. Lockhart did a wonderful job though it was a bit confusing at times. However, as the book moves on, it explains the things you need to know.


I read a total of 2,012 pages thus month.
This total does include the partial books I read too. I read 33 pages in "Big, Fat Manifesto" by Susan Vaught, 20 pages in No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige, and 10 pages in Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.
I read those during the Read-a-Thon, which is part of why I started them and didn't finish. I wanted books that would keep my attention from the get go and these weren't quite doing it. Though, I liked them, I needed something a bit more at the time. I will pick these books back up soon.
The Read-a-Thon really helped ,e to get back into reading more and find my love for it again. I am glad I decided to join, cause at first I almost didn't.

Thank you for your time! Here is the video that goes with this post: May 2014|Wrap-up YouTube Video

Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of your week!





No comments:

Post a Comment